Google+

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Tabletop Gaming - Roleplay - Bitten at the Edge of the Empire

That's right, this year was meant to be a cheaper year when it came to gaming but then I was bitten by Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Edge of the Empire tabletop roleplay game.

We are definitely a Star Wars household and the step son is at that age that he would actually be able to roleplay just fine, with some guidance, and so the fun began.

We got the Core Book plus dice and I've had a decent read through of it and because I own the Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition that FFG also made, I already knew partly of what I was getting into. Infact, Edge of the Empire and hence the future books are going to be much better, more streamlined and plain out more Star Wars.

But yes, it didn't end there.. after the Core Book and the dice, I have an order on now for the Beginner's Box, GM's Kit as well as the first adventure module Beyond the Rim.

At first, my wife and I were against the Beginner's Box since we've roleplayed before, why do we need a product catering new players by doing a linear adventure? Well, it comes with stuff.
  • 1 32-page Adventure Book, 1 48-page Rulebook, and 1 Introduction Sheet
  • 4 Full-Color Character Folios
  • 1 Full-Color Double-Sided Foldout Map
  • 14 Custom Dice
  • 8 Destiny Tokens, 35 Character Tokens, and 5 Vehicle Tokens
An extra set of dice as I've heard 2-3 sets are good, a full double sided map as well as some premade players (re: future NPCs) as well as tokens.

As for the adventure, I am really looking forward to it. The way it has been designed is that each game can/will be unique when you take into the dice mechanic the game utilizes. I've read a few threads where two games are different because of things that occurred. I'm liking that factor where most modules are 99% linear between different play groups unless modified.
Beyond the Rim is the first full-length adventure for the Star Wars®: Edge of the Empire™ Roleplaying Game. When new rumors add credence to old smugglers’ tales of a long-lost Separatist treasure ship, it’s time for a handful of intrepid explorers, scrappy smugglers, and cunning academics to fire up their hyperdrive and embark upon a fantastic journey to the farthest regions of the Star Wars galaxy. Fantastic adventures await those who seek to discover what really happened to the Sa Nalaor!
  • A 96-page, three-act adventure for Star Wars®: Edge of the Empire™
  • An epic tale of exploration that leads all the way to the edges of Wild Space
  • Encounter the deadly predators native to the jungle planet, Cholganna
  • Optional materials allow GMs to weave the adventure into extended campaigns
Anyway, that all aside, I'm looking forward to the books that are coming or have come but I've not got my hands on them yet (Explorer & Hired Gun books) and I'm definitely going to be wanting the whole collection while FFG has the licence! I missed our on West End Games D6 system with Star Wars and by damned, I will not miss out on this.